The spirited child—often called "difficult" or "strong willed"—possesses traits we value in adults yet find challenging in children. Research shows that spirited children are wired to be "more"; by temperament, they are more intense, sensitive, perceptive, persistent, and more uncomfortable with change than the average child. In this newly revised third edition of the award-winning classic, Dr. Mary Sheedy Kurcinka provides vivid examples of real-life challenges and a refreshingly positive viewpoint. Within these pages you will find:
- New strategies for managing intensity levels—not just the spirited child's, but yours too
- A simple, four-step program for peaceful bedtimes, mealtimes, holidays, and many other commonly challenging situations
- A focus on your child's strengths
- Steps for teaching your child how to be a problem solver and how to work with others
- Updated guidance on establishing clear limits
- And more!
Charts and quick tips make this newly updated edition an indispensable guide for fostering a supportive, encouraging, and loving environment for children.